Thursday, December 19, 2013

Twig Tree Decoration

Looking for a last minute gift idea for someone who has everything? Or maybe you just want crafty idea for yourself? Either way this is the perfect thing...a twig Christmas tree!


I found a image of a twig tree floating around Pinterest and had to try it.

Here's what I used:

8 X 10 canvas
burlap
mod podge
sticks I collect from our town park
yarn (which I had left from this project)
berries from a berry garland
wire cutters (to cut the berries off the garland)
Marion Smith's Vintage Trinkets
hot glue & gun



First I attached my burlap to the canvas. I used Mod Podge to cover the front surface and along the sides. I smoothed out a piece of burlap over top the canvas. I then flipped it over and pulled the burlap tight all the way around it and secured it with hot glue. I allowed the mod podge to dry.
Next, I broke my stick pieces and lined them up on the canvas to take the shape of a tree. 


Next I decided to wrap yarn around the "trunk" of the tree. I just wrapped the yarn around it several times and then tied a knot in front. I then glued all the sticks in place. And added some Marion Smith vintage trinkets as the tree topper and some extra embellishments.


Then I made the garland. I took a piece of red yarn and tied knots along it. The knots were made tying them 3 at a time together then moving about an inch (guessing, I didn't actually measure them) away and tied the knots again.



Then I hot glued the yarn in a zig-zag pattern going up the tree.


Next, I finished decorating the tree by adding berries I had from a berry garland I bought awhile ago on clearance from A.C. Moore. I used wire cutters to remove the berries then hot glued them into place.



Here's the finished tree!


Hope you enjoyed this quick last minute Christmas decoration. Thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment