Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pinspiration Sunday: Christmas Card Holder


So awhile back on Pinterest I saw a pin of a picture holder made from an old frame. And I thought it was really simple and cute and maybe one day I would make it. Then Christmas season came. Now I always just tape my cards to the closet door in the living room because I really had nowhere else to put them. But this year I remembered that pin I saw. I had this hideous picture from a gift exchange at work. It’s kind of a joke that started before I came to work at this hospital but I wasn't disappointed when I got it cause all I thought was, “I bet I can make something out of this”. And now I have.

Here’s what I started with:


I took the backing off and removed the picture and glass. Next I sanded the frame down.


Then I mixed some paint up to get a nice minty green color. I painted the entire frame and allowed it to dry overnight. The next day I sanded it down again to get a distressed look. Once I had it sanded to my liking, I cleaned it off then put a coat of Mod Podge on it. I allowed that to dry.



Next, I took twine and tied 4 strings across it. To help the twine stay in place I put a dab of hot glue on the back side of the frame. I originally wanted to keep the staples in on the sides that helps hold everything in place and tie the twine to that but one had fallen off. I tried to tack it back in but unfortunately because of my Rheumatoid Arthritis I have recently become very weak in my right hand/wrist (which is my dominate side) so I have to adjust my crafting to accommodate my abilities. But I really like the ties on the front of the frame anyways.




 So that’s it. To hold the cards in place I have super small clothes pins from my son's first birthday bash. This project was 100% FREE because all my supplies were just lying around. I do think that this frame will ultimately be too small for all the Christmas cards we get so maybe next year I’ll redo it with a bigger and thicker frame I pick up from my thrifting. But until then, this will do.


Thanks for stopping by and checking out my project!


2 comments:

  1. Love this, I will be making one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to make. I do recommend using a larger frame...this one didn't even come close to holding all our cards...but I think it was a good first try ;)

    ReplyDelete