Tuesday, December 17, 2013

DIY Colored Book Page Ornament


Every year near Christmas we have a celebration week at work. Each day is something different. One day is ornament day. You bring in ornaments and we pick another's to take. Last year I got a set of four. And they were pretty, but they were gold...and I am not a fan of gold. No worries, I have a DIY project.

Here's what you'll need:
an ornament to cover
book pages
mod podge
paint brush
wire cutters
food coloring
berries and leaves
hot glue 
stick (or as I used, a wooden spoon) to hang your drying ornament

 As I have stated in a number of other posts, I have a few old Reader's Digest books laying around...so I used one of those and ripped up some pages. Next I attached the pieces of the book pages to the ornament using mod podge (sorry I didn't take a pic of that, but I think you can see what I mean in the next picture). I made sure none of the original ornament was showing. I allowed that to dry. After it dried, I mixed some red food coloring with some mod podge and brushed that over the entire surface. I hung it on a spoon hanging over a table to dry.



 Once it dried I used 2 leaves from a pack of Recollections' Holly leaves... as well as a few berries from a Christmas pick I bought from AC Moore a few years back. (I used a pair of wire cutters to cut the berries I wanted from the pick).
I figured out where I wanted them on the ornament and then I hot glued them in place. Once I was finished I had something like this:


Hope you liked this simple and fun tutorial. Let me know if you try it out! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment