Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pinspiration Sunday: DIY Pacifier Clips

I found a tutorial on Pinterest to make your own pacifier clips. Before I get into how I made them, please keep in mind that I DO NOT know my way around a sewing machine. My sewing machine was given to me for free from my husband’s grandmother and is from the 70’s...So in this tutorial it talked about having a serger. I had no idea what it was so I had to look it up and to be honest I’m still not really sure…haha! Anyway, pacifier clips are AMAZING! No worries about that binky falling on the floor when you’re out and about. But these little straps are about $4+ a piece and they come in some crazy colors which means they don’t exactly go with the little one’s outfit. So now I can make my own, however I want it. I also want to say that I will not be able to describe how I made this very well. I STRONGLY suggest you visit Sew, Mama, Sew! for the original post for guidance. So here is what I did. First I went to JoAnn’s with a handful of coupons. I got suspender clips, interfacing and found fabric on sale. I bought quarter yard of all the fabrics I liked. I bought some girly fabrics too. I’m planning on making a bunch and they can be future baby shower gifts. I’ve also found a few other DIY baby items on Pinterest that I may make and do matching gift sets. But that’s for another day… So back to the pacifier clips…life with a 10 month old pretty much means all my projects get done in stages. And this one wasn’t any different. First I cut all my fabrics to size. She had 14 inches X 2 1/2 in. for the fabric. 14 X 1 1/8 in for the interfacing. After I made the first one I really didn’t like the length of it so my second one I made, I cut the length to 10 inches. After all my pieces were cut, and a few days later, I actually started to make them. First I ironed the edges in. I didn’t measure how far just kind of went for it.



Then I cut the end edges at an angle.




Next, I folded it in half length wise and ironed it.I placed the interfacing inside. Then I pinned it to stay in place.



I just sewed along the edge all the way around.




After that it was time to attach the clip and Velcro. I placed a suspender clip through one end and sewed it in place using a Zig-Zag stitch and then took Velcro and sewed it at the other. I didn’t measure the distance between the two pieces of Velcro. I just looped the strap through a pacifier to see about where it should go. And in the end I got something like this:



Here is a picture of the clip in action (sorry it’s a little blurring, my little guy was coming at me)




It was really a simple project even for a non-sewer like me. Hopefully I will improve the more I make. We’ll see. But for now, I think they are pretty cool looking anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment