Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pinspiration Sunday: Yarn Ball Wreath

So I found this awesome Wreath on Pinterest and I fell in love with it instantly.

I wanted to make one exactly like it. However, I found this amazing red yarn and decided that I had to use it in this wreath. To make this wreath I headed to AC Moore. I went during moonlight madness so anything that wasn’t already on sale that week would be 25% at that time…so EVERYTHING I bought was on sale. This project ended up costing me a little more that I had plan, but that’s mostly because I chose a more expensive yarn. So here is a list of what you need:

Wreath form
Foam balls of various sizes (I paid about $7)
Yarn in various colors ($15)
Hot glue and gun (you need A LOT of glue, so I bought a new bag $3)

Additional items that can be used:
Christmas ornaments ($7)

First you cover your wreath form. I bought a wire wreath form because it was the cheapest ($2.99) and covered mine with dark brown felt. The one from Pinterest used burlap. I chose felt for two reasons: 1) my front door is dark brown and 2) I had brown felt on hand. I was sure to wrap it tightly and secured it with hot glue. Then came the tedious task of wrapping yarn around the foam balls. For the red and dark gray balls, I actually painted them first and allowed them to dry. That way I could get away with leaving some very small areas not covered by yarn and it wouldn’t be noticeable and I would save the yarn…cause again…I paid too much…LOL (Honestly it really wasn’t that bad, but I’m a thrift store shopper…I like bargains!) Anyways…I didn’t buy as many foam balls as I should have because, once again, I’m cheap and believe or not FOAM IS NOT. make more balls, I improvised. I used crumpled up paper and plastic ornaments. I wrapped the yarn around, well, whatever, and made assorted sizes and colored balls. I already owned red and silver ornaments but I purchased a box of multiple sized and finishes of smaller red and silver ornaments from Wal-Mart for $3.50 per box. Then I just started gluing then to the wreath form. I liked the idea of the snowflakes from the original inspirational wreath but I didn’t find any I liked. I looked at AC Moore for the wood ones that had dark edges but couldn’t find them. But that can always be added later. This is my final project:

No comments:

Post a Comment