So as part of our bedroom makeover we needed to get rid of our awful green curtains that came with the house we bought almost 4 years ago. I was very excited, and so was my husband...he hated those curtains. I found several tutorials on Pinterest for DIY Roman Shades but the one I liked the most was from Terra over at Simply Mrs. Edwards. She does an excellent job with this tutorial. Honestly, if you don't understand my directions, please ask me or hop on over to her page.
Here's what I used:
Cheap mini blinds (got 'em from Lowe's for about $4 each)
Fabric for the curtains (I got a cotton floral pattern from JoAnn's)
Lining fabric (I used a blackout liner which was 50% off [also from JoAnn's] so I bought the entire roll because my husband wants these throughout the entire house)
Permanent Fabric Glue (which later I ended up touching up with hot glue)
sewing machine & thread to match your top fabric (or iron-on hem tape)
Iron & Ironing Board
Yard Stick and/or Tape Measure
First thing was first...measuring the window. Of course the window within the frame was an odd width, like 28 inches or something. Well on Lowe's they came in 27 or 29 inches (for the cheapies). I went with 27 so they would fit inside the frame. The length was 58 inches.
Now it was time to measure the fabric and liner. I ironed them first. Then measured and cut my fabric. The decorative cotton fabric should be 2 inches wider and 6 inches longer than the window measurement (so mine was 29" X 64") and the blackout fabric should be the exact measurement of the window (that made mine 27" X 58") I then laid out the fabrics, patterned fabric face down and the liner white side up (to blend with the mini blinds) with the liner being smack dab in the middle of the cotton. That left the cotton fabric to have 1" on each side and 3" on the top and bottom bigger than the liner.