Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pinspiration Sunday: Wall Decor



So, 14 months after having my son I’m finally getting some décor put on his bedroom walls. While scrolling through Pinterest I came across a J&A and Company blog which provided free printables that she had used to decorate her children’s bathrooms. My son’s crib bedding is CoCaLo’s Turtle Reef which is shades of blues and greens and that’s what I was looking for in wall décor. Also, while on Pinterest I came across a great Winnie the Pooh quote which I just HAD to use! So here’s what I did…

You are my Sunshine:

First I purchased this awesome unfinished wooden tile board from Wal-Mart for under $10. Looked like this:

I originally planned on doing a multiple patterned design and incorporate the Winnie the Pooh quote. But I just didn’t like it. So I decided to do something else entirely different with that board (Check back in a few weeks to see what I do with the tiles). I stained the entire thing with walnut colored acrylic stain (as I’ve used in the past). Next, I used a 12 X 12 sheet of scrapbook paper cut to fit inside where the tiles would have gone. And mod podge that in place and allowed it to dry. I printed my free printable and just trimmed it down. I decided to back that sheet with another solid color scrapbook paper. But before I attached them together, I inked the edges of the paper with the phrase. Then I mod podged the entire board securing all the pages to it and allowed it to dry. Done! ***Just as a side note, if the paper starts to bubble just let it go...once it completely dries, it will lay flat.***

Winnie the Pooh:

This phrase I just typed up in Microsoft Word with the font called Minya Nouvelle in various sizes. I didn’t want to just put it on a white background but I didn’t really like any of the patterned paper I had so I went searching the web for circle prints in green or blue. I found this background. Saved the picture to my computer then inserted it to the background of my text and stretched it to fill the page. Then I printed that out. (The frame I used was purchased months ago from a thrift store for a buck or two)

I love you more:

This was another printable from J&A and Co. The frame is actually scrapbook paper. For Christmas, my husband’s Aunt Sarah got me the Fancy Frames Cricut cartridge. I measured how big I needed the opening to be and used my Cricut Craftroom software to manipulate the frame to fit the image. After I cut it out I used my ATG gun to attach the image to the frame. I then used some 3M strips to attach the frame to the wall.

And there you have it. I love how it turned out but I think it's missing something else. I was thinking about adding another picture but then I thought about putting his name on the wall. I have leftover vinyl that I used for the mustaches on his birthday ballons so I decided to write his name. Here's the final wall display.


No comments:

Post a Comment