Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pinspiration Sunday: Wooden Letter Ornament

I found on Pinterest this cute wooden initial ornament. Unfortunately this person only posted a picture and no instructions. Not that it matters because I rarely follow the instructions anyways. I like to figure it out myself. This seemed simple enough…and it was and I think my end product turned out really cute. So here is my inspiration:


Here is a list of supplies I used:

Wooden letter
Small eye hook (same as I used on the mustache ornaments)
Wood stain
Mod podge
Ink
Scissors
Paint brush
Cricut machine
Decorative Scrapbook paper
Ribbon
Hot glue & gun
ATG gun


So I headed out to A.C. Moore and found their unfinished wooden letters. This one was only $1.19 or maybe $1.29, either way it wasn’t very expensive. This is basically all I spent because everything else I had at home.


Let’s get started…First I started by staining the letter. I knew I was covering it up with paper which meant I could do it quickly and it didn’t matter so I could be fairly messy with it. I let it dry.


Next I traced the letter once onto a sheet of patterned paper.


I then folded that paper in half and cut the letter out. Which gave me 2.


Then I covered the two sides of the letter with mod podge and placed the paper on top.



After it dried, I cut the excess paper off from around the edges. I then used ink to blend the edges so it flowed nicely into the stained sides of the letter.


After that, I cover the entire letter with mod podge and let it dry.


Once it was dry I inserted the eye hook on the top of the letter.


Afterwards, I typed up and printed out what I wanted the tag to read. Then I practiced manipulating the Cricut Craft Room software to get the tag and circle cut-out I wanted. I cut out the tag on patterned paper and tried to line up my words on the cutting mat so that the circle would cut perfectly around the words I had printed out. I inked the edge of the white circle and used my ATG gun to adhere it to the tag. Next I covered the tag, front and back, with a very thin layer of mod podge. This was in case it gets damp it would be slightly protected.


I then hot glued the tag to the letter. Next I made a bow from ribbon and hot glued that to the top of the tag.


I finished by tying another piece of ribbon through the eyehook so it could be hung from a tree. Here is how the other side looks


This was a nice and inexpensive gift that is truly one-of-a-kind. And it could be made for anyone. This one in particular is for my sister-in-law who just got married in May. After I made it, I thought it was so cute and easy that I should make more for other family members. So that’s what I’m going to do. Hope you enjoyed this episode of Pinspiration Sunday. Be sure to keep checking back to see what else I've found and made! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment