Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pinspiration Sunday: Earring Frame

THIS WEEK'S INSPIRATION:


I found this cute gift idea on Pinterest quite awhile ago for a framed burlap earring holder. And now I’m in love with this project! And it’s going to be a Christmas gift for someone and I know if she sees this she will know right away that it is for her...but I had to post this. This project cost me $1.75 to make. I will repeat that…ONLY $1.75 TO MAKE!!!! WHOOOOOOO HOOO!!! The only items that I did not have on hand were the frame and spray starch. The frame I bought at a thrift store for only 25 CENTS and the starch was $1.50! Here is a list of what I used:

Thrift store frame
Acrylic paint (I used mint green and black)
Acrylic spray sealant
Hot glue and gun
Prima flowers
Tattered Angels glimmer mist (I used jingle bells and peach delight)
Burlap
Spray starch
Iron and ironing board
Cricut Craftroom Software and Jasmine Font Cartridge


Let’s get started. Here’s the original thrift store frame with the glass and backing removed:


I was originally planning to buy spray paint for this but I hadn’t gone to the store so I just decided to go with the acrylic craft paint I already had. I also have a plastic frame that I could use for this project and for that I would use spray paint. Using the craft paint on this wooden frame took 3 coats to get good coverage. I allowed that to dry then sprayed it with the acrylic sealer.


Next I went through my Prima flowers to see what I could use in this project. Now the original post showed a burlap and felt flower which I was going to try to make myself but I love the Prima flowers I have and I’m always looking for an excuse to use my glimmer mists. After I sprayed the flowers, I allowed them to air dry (you could use a heat tool but as I’ve said in the past, every project I do gets done in shifts. With the flowers I had to go to work so I let them air dry overnight)




Meanwhile I sprayed the burlap with starch and ironed it according to directions.


Next I used the Cricut Craft Room software to make the letter B. I knew my frame opening was for a 5X7” frame so I just made sure the letter was within those marking on the cricut mat and cut it out with cardstock. I placed the paper remaining from the cutout on to my burlap and used a sponge brush to stencil the letter on.



Then I used the glass to cut the correct measurement for the burlap.


After that I hot glued the burlap and flowers into place.



And there you have it. It’s a great personalized gift! Although it took me a span of 3 days to make this, I could have easily made several in one day. It was a very quick project and I’m sure I will be making more in the future.

***To get some good tips on using glimmer mists with Prima flowers, you gotta check out Marion Smith. Everything I learned about them, I’ve learned from her. The large yellow and orange one was made by first spraying the entire flower with jingles bells, then with a wet paint brush I dipped into the peach delight and just touched the tips of the flowers with the brush. The color bleeds well from there.***

No comments:

Post a Comment