Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pinspiration Sunday: DIY Door Jammers


Have you seen these door jammers floating around on Pinterest? If you haven't, the idea is this...you can sneak in and out of your little one's room without having to turn the door knob and wake them. They are super cute and a crazy great idea...and once you've bought one, you realize, these would be so easy to make. Like everything else in our baby girl's nursery, I needed a custom made one to match, right?!?! ;) The best part? I already had all my supplies so it didn't cost me a thing...I love FREE! 
So here's how I made mine.

Supplies:
2 hair ties (those really thick ones)
fabric
cushiony (if that's a word) fabric like felt or fleece (I used fleece)
measuring and cutting tools
thread
sewing machine
iron


I had some fabric leftover from my crib bumper makeover so I used that. You want to cut your pieces into rectangles. My section of leftover fabric was 6 inches wide, so I cut my pieces 6" X 4" to get started.



Next, you want to fold your fabric edges over and iron them down. This will give you a nice smooth edge for your finished project. I didn't measure mine, just did one piece all the way around and then matched the second piece by laying it on top to see where my creases need to be made.



Next I cut my corners down so there wasn't so much fabric there.


Then, I cut a piece of fleece slightly smaller than my two fabric rectangles. 


And put it inside the folded over edges of one of the fabric rectangles.


Next, I put the hair ties in place on each end of the rectangle.


After that, I placed the second fabric rectangle on top, lining up the edges and pinning them together.


Now, you're ready to sew. As seen in the other images of door jammers, I sewed along the outside edge then moved in about a quarter inch or so and sewed all the way around again. This is how it turned out.


Here's the door jammer on the door, ready to go.




Hope you liked this tutorial! Thanks for stopping by!





No comments:

Post a Comment