Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pinspiration Sunday: Rag Wreath


I've seen a lot of rag wreaths floating around Pinterest and I finally decided to make my own. As I'm sure we all know burlap is pretty cheap....however, I decided to buy some orange burlap with gold threading...which looks awesome but was WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than the regular burlap and I was kicking myself for purchasing it. But to be honest...I LOVE the way this wreath turned out using that crazy expensive burlap. 

So here is what I used to make my wreath:

burlap (3 yards purchased but I only used about 2 1/2)
wire wreath form (18in with 4 wires going around)
glitter spiders from Walmart (which I had left from this project)
glitter spider and web from Michael's
hot glue and gun
Made my own "spooky" sign
ribbon for bow

To get started I cut strips of burlap in about 1 inch sections. I used the method of removing one thread then cutting along that line to help the burlap from fraying. (If you need further instructions on that I would be happy to share it...just let me know) Which gave me very long pieces. Then I cut those pieces either into 3rds or 4ths. Next I worked wire by wire, section by section, tying the burlap pieces on. Once I had all four wires in one section filled then I would move to the next section. This is a very long process and cutting and working with burlap is very messy (just a warning).  For a great video explanation on how to put this together, check out this video from Cassie & Co Blog.

After many hours...the wreath was finally covered. Make sure all your knots are in the back and strips of burlap are facing forward. 



Then it's placement of your decorations. I made my bow myself...and I'm amazed it turned out as good as it did...I have never made a "fancy" bow...and I had no idea how to do it. I used a no-wire satin ribbon...very difficult to work with. I would strongly recommend using as wired ribbon and look on YouTube for some great videos on how to make the perfect bow. I attached my bow with floral wire (which is actually still visible...but shhhh!)


Then I added the spiders and spider/web decorations with hot glue. 


I made my "spooky" decoration by using my Cricut machine, scrapbook paper (one piece was glittery) and wet glue. Once it dried, I hot glued that into place. 


Finally I hung it on my front door.



And there you have it...burlap rag wreath. Again I want to stress that this is time consuming and pretty messy. But it's worth it, I think. And it's pretty cheap (as long as you don't buy burlap with gold thread in it). 

REMINDER:
Oh and don't forget I'm giving away my Halloween printable mini scrapbook...you decide how you get your prize...you can get the download for FREE so you can print out as much as you want and assemble it, you can have me send you it in a kit form for you to put together OR you can have me assemble it for you! What an awesome giveaway, right!?!?! To enter the giveaway just go to this POST and leave a comment. I will announce the winner on Halloween morning! Good Luck, everyone! Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment