Friday, March 26, 2010

Recipe Boxes



I recently started making boxes....any crafter out there should know about the Cricut die-cutting machine. It's not just for scrapbooking or card making...it's for all crafts! I absolutely love it. The cartridge "From My Kitchen" was my inspiration for starting my boxes. It comes with a “how to” on making a recipe box….but I thought the box that they showed wasn’t too impressive so I decided to take it to the next level. That’s when I designed this box. My first! What I love most about it is that it looks old. First I took the hardware off and stained the box in a walnut stain then allowed it to dry.


I used the apron design and a phrase from the cricut cartridge…added some paper in which I used the inking technique around the edges (inking is just taking an ink pad and dragging it lightly along the edge of the paper making it look slightly discolored and vintage).

Finally I used some mod podge to seal it all in. Then I took a sanding pad and went around the edges, put the hardware back on and it was done…very easy! I was very impressed with the end results that I had to make a second one too…

This was not your typical recipe style box…but I think it turned out just as good. I made both of them in one day, start to finish.

2 comments: