Wednesday, November 13, 2013

DIY Lace Sweatshirt


About a year ago I was on Pinterest and found a awesome idea to turn an over-sized sweatshirt into a cardigan...well...that didn't really work out for me. As I have stated before...I know nothing about sewing and with that project you definitely needed some knowledge. So I had this shirt just tucked away in my craft room...just waiting. Then a few months ago I came across this shirt from Urban Outfitters and thought..."hmm, I wonder if I could make that?"

Urban Outfitters....I think I can make something like this

This is what I had to start with...a black sweatshirt  I bought from a thrift store for $3.99


And some lace that I already had (it was FREE at a yard sale a few years ago).


Last year for Christmas my husband bought me a new sewing machine. With it came lots of great tools like this seam ripper. So I started by removing the seams at the neck and the waist where I would need my lace to be sewn into. 


Then I layed it out with the lace in place.



I pinned it to help hold it and I just sewed along the current stitch. This sweatshirt was doubled stitched. I tried to match it as perfectly to the original as I could...but they are not exact (I'll keep that in mind the next time I try something like this). I sewed along the current hems and switched my thread out at the top and used white to stitch along the length of the lace.  





Now this sweatshirt was bought bigger than what I would normally wear as it was for another project and although the original one from Urban Outfitters is also not form fitting, but it also isn't baggie. The simplest way I could think of was to sew up each side along the side seam. I started from the waist and went all the way to the wrist sewing approximately 1/2- 3/4 an inch. I haven't decided yet whether or not I will shorten the sleeves to 3/4 length as in the one from UO. But for now, I like it. I hope you do too! Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment